Tempestuous Eden by Heather Graham

 

Tempestuous Eden

Tempestuous Eden was originally the very first Candlelight Ecstasy Supreme (say that five times fast). It’s been reissued a few time, most recently by Open Road Media, which is the version I read.

The novel opens with a series of memos sent between Taylor and G.M. (also referred to as Chief and is Taylor’s boss). Taylor has just asked “why?”

Taylor--

I have one main answer. CLASSIFIED!

Your orders are concise. Stick with Huntington’s daughter; keep her safe; keep her in the dark; move when told.

G.M.

Craig Taylor is NOT happy about keeping an eye on Blair Morgan (Huntington’s daughter). Currently Blair is working in a Central American country with an aid company focusing on hunger. Taylor is sent in as a new recruit and while Blair is instantly suspicious of him, she can’t say why. The rest of the “Hunger Crew” are instantly enamored with him and find his focus on Blair as innocent romantic interest.

As the two work together, they start to fall in lust (and love). The cover is actually rather accurate since a secluded stream plays a part in their romance. Unfortunately, Taylor gets orders to move Blair out of the country and kidnaps her. As Taylor cannot, and will not, tell her who he really is or what he really is doing, she spends the whole trip thinking he is a terrorist. And Taylor knows he’s in for it when the truth comes out.

This was originally published in 1983 and it definitely shows its age, especially with the smoking habit of the main characters. Yes, I know people smoke, but the casualness just isn’t common in stories today. There are a few other details that escape me that date the book, but once I started to read it as, dare I say it, a historical, I found myself enjoying it much more. I understood why these people fell in love and also what motivated their conflict. So while the middle dragged a bit, I enjoyed reading Tempestuous Eden. I may just search out other early Heather Graham books.

-copy of Tempestuous Eden by Heather Graham was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

No comments: