Romancing the Stones by Catherine Berlin

Look, look! Another book post! This time up is Romancing the Stones by Catherine Berlin.

Okay, I admit that it was the title that first got me to look at this book. And then the blurb hooked me in. And the cover is pretty good too.

Photobucket


Blurb from Samhain:
Naked. Wet. Pointing a gun at your dream guy. What a way to start the day…

Archaeologist Charlotte “Charlie” Blair arrives home from a dig in Peru to find a dead body in her house—and herself suspected of murder. Sorting out the truth, that a serial killer has been using her place to stash his kills, proves easier than shaking off the detective who’s determined to protect her.

Detective Rob Vaiden’s first sight of Charlie is naked, wet, and pointing a Glock at his chest. Oh yeah, this is going to be a hell of a case. Something about the bombshell has attracted the attention of Orion, a killer Vaiden’s been pursuing since his days as a rookie cop. To catch Orion, he needs to be near Charlie. Trouble is, while she’s easy on the eyes, the maddeningly independent woman is determined she doesn’t need his help.

Vaiden gets on Charlie’s last nerve, but she’s got her own problems. The golden rod of Manco Copac, the greatest find in her career, has disappeared. In place of the gold phallus she finds a bag of mythical Ica stones. Stones for which Orion is willing to kill.

Charlie…the stones…Orion. What connects this deadly triangle? Vaiden and Charlie race to figure it out—before Orion chooses his next target.


I'm of two minds with this book. On one hand I liked it and found it very readable, but on the other, I was left with way too many questions about just what the story was about. It all just didn't make any sense.

And with that title and cover, I was expecting more of an exotic adventure. Yes, the blurb says nothing about that, but that's my personal feeling.

Anyways, I don't mind that I read the book, but it was kind of meh. So probably a C if I had to grade it. It's possible I'll read something else from the author as I did feel she had potential.

No comments: