Spirited Away by Cindy Miles

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES

When Tristan de Barre and his men were murdered in 1292, their souls were cursed to roam his estate for all eternity. It's been a long, dull, celibate ever after. But now Tristan's phantom heart is pounding again for the first time in more than seven hundred years because of the beautiful scientist who's digging up his castle's bailey. Can he make her notice him, or will she see straight through him?

The opportunity to excavate the remains at Dreadmoor Castle has forensic archaeologist Andi Monroe tingling with excitement. It's an incredible find and a chance to study the mysterious legend of Dragonhawk, a medieval knight who disappeared without a trace. Lately, though, rational Andi is having a hard time telling fact from fiction. She could just swear she met the vanished knight, and he's a fantasy come true. But until she finds a way to help Tristan lift the curse, their love doesn't stand a ghost of a chance....




Title:
Spirited Away
Author: Cindy Miles
Year published: 2007
Why I picked up this book: HelenKay sent it, but it had been on my to-buy list.
Do I like the cover? Yes, it's cute.
Is this part of a series? I don't believe so. I think her next book is a similar ghost mystery romance, but doesn't look to be completely related.
What I enjoyed about the book: There are a lot of fun elements here. It's not a time-travel like it may look. The hero is actually a lord/knight who was cursed to roam his castle along with his fellow men. He can be seen, but can't touch anything in the real world. This actually works well in the story as Tristan and Andi fall in love without ever being able to touch each other. This involves actually talking. And Andi is a great character with a unique job as a forensic archaeologist. I thought her job was handled well and was worked into the story nicely.

This is a really sweet, cute story. And sometimes, that's just what the doctor ordered. And this one delivers. The paranormal elements are here, but they aren't overwhelming or dark. And I liked that for the story, they made sense. I didn't ever wonder why something was the way it was because it seemed that everything was explained in a way that made sense. Spirited Away reminded me of a fairy tale and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

I'm sure some people won't like it because it's a simple story, but if you want something cute, sweet, and romantic, I recommend this one. It's a nice summer afternoon read. There's a quote on the back from Julie Kenner that says it's reminiscent of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and I have to rather agree.
What I didn’t like about the book? Well, it ended. That's about it.
Is this a new-to-me author and would I read something by this author again? This is her debut book, so definitely new to me. I'm definitely going to be looking for the next book she has out in November.
Am I keeping it or passing it on? For now, I'm keeping it.

2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I saw this one the other day and it was veeerryyy tempting. I may just have to go back and see if it's still there.
No wait!! I've banned myself from buying for a while.
But wait!!! Since I banned myself, then I can unban me can't I?
No - enough is enough! I need to play catch up with the TBR pile.
But Dang! Now I want this one too!

Suisan said...

OOOOoooOOOOoooOOOO!

This looks very cool. A Romance based on conversation; now there's a good idea.

I'll have to scribble it on my little scrap of paper which I always manage to lose.