2009 TBR Challenge: The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon

Yes, it's not a category romance. So sue me. I did read some, but not ones that I would consider tbr.

Book Cover


I've had this book in the to be read pile for well over a year. I'd first gotten it when I asked a coworker to buy it for me when he was over in Australia. Well, he did, but it languished on my bookshelf until now. Coworker now has the rest of the series, which is not available in the US yet. Coworker is also moving to Australia sometime this year, so I figured I'd better read them while I could. Or at least so I wouldn't have to wait for them to be released over here.

I whipped through this large book in only a few days. I found it to be quite good and can't wait to read more.

When a routine hanging goes wrong and a murderer somehow survives the noose, the man announces he is an immortal. And not just any immortal, but Cayal, the Immortal Prince, hero of legend, thought to be only a fictional character, a figure out of the Tide Lord Tarot, the only record left on Amyrantha of the mythical beings whom the part-animal, part-human Crasii believe created their race.
Arkady Desean is an expert on the legends of the Crasii. At the request of her childhood friend, Declan Hawkes, the Kings Spymaster, she is sent interrogate this would be immortal, hoping to prove he is a spy, or at the very least, a madman.

Set the task of proving Cayal a liar, Arkady's own web of lies, and that of her husband and the King's Spymaster will start to unravel. Nothing is really as it seems around Cayal, the Immortal Prince; the lies seem plausible, his stories improbable and truth more than any of them bargained for.


The Immortal Prince is full of a complex cast of characters. I liked the theme of history repeating itself and humans trying to find scientific answers to explain away what they think are superstition (despite my own atheistic tendencies). Cayal is sick of life and wants to die, yet he can't. These immortals are not gods. As the book progresses, we see that they are all too human and the world is in for another rude awakening as the Tide rises and their power once again is able to be used.

I look forward to learning more about the Tide. And Cayal and Arkady are such interesting people who both have many secrets.

Anyways, can't wait to read the next three in the series. Yay to Jennifer Fallon for writing such a great fantasy.

No comments: