Airs Beneath the Moon by Toby Bishop


At Deeping Farm, far in the Uplands, young Larkyn Hamley finds a lone winged horse, starving, exhausted, and about to give birth. The headstrong Larkyn saves the newborn from death. But in the process, the coal-black foal named Tup bonds with Lark, which the horses only do with one human woman for life.

So when Mistress Phillipa Winter arrives to inspect Tup, she has little choice but to take the farm girl to the Academy for a “proper” education. There, Lark realizes that her unlikely good fortune may not be so lucky. For in the elite world of the Academy, Lark’s kindness and honesty prove to be weak armor against the taunts and cruelty of the high-born girls already there.

Now, with Tup as her only ally, Larkyn Hamley is going to show everyone how high she can fly. Because if she falls, it’s a long, long way down…

Title: Airs Beneath The Moon
Author: Toby Bishop
Year published: 2007
Why I picked up this book: I liked the cover and then learned the author was Louise Marley and I remembered liking a book of hers.
Do I like the cover? Yes, it's what drew me to the book.
Is this part of a series? It looks to be the first in a series.
What I enjoyed about the book: Airs Beneath the Moon is a cute story. Lark really doesn't fit in, but because of Tup, she's determined to succeed. I liked how the history of the area is brought into the story and the motivations for the villain was believable in an evil sort of way. And well, the story appeals to my inner horse-mad child.
What I didn’t like about the book? Occasionally, the sheer evilness of the villain was a bit surprising in a book that's YA-geared. And damn it, I want more of the story!
Is this a new-to-me author and would I read something by this author again? Definitely will read more. This was cute and fun.
Am I keeping it or passing it on? I haven't quite decided yet.

No comments: