Lost in Translation by Edward Willett


Kathryn was a human empath whose world and life had been destroyed when, as a very young child, she'd watched helplessly as the alien S'sinn slaughtered her parents before her very eyes. Only the Translators, an elite guild of empaths, had been able to free her from the trauma and give her a new life.


Jarrikk was a young S'sinn, an unproven warrior who'd seen his flight mates slaughtered by the humans who'd sought to colonize his world. Crippled so that he could never fly again, he would have chosen death, but he wasn't allowed the choice. Instead he, too, was trained to be a Translator. And as humans and S'sinn found themselves poised on the brink of a war that could not only destroy their own species but could disrupt the delicate balance of the multiracial Commonwealth, these two Translators--who had every reason to hate one another--had to work together to find a common ground and avert catastrophe. But whether their Translators' oath and training could overcome the enemies leagued against them was very much in doubt...

Title: Lost in Translation

Author: Edward Willett

Year published: 2006 (paperback edition, 2005 hardback Five Star edition)

Why I picked up this book: Liked the cover, then the back blurb sounded interesting.

Do I like the cover? Yeah

Is this part of a series? I don't think so. It certainly stands alone.

What I enjoyed about the book: I liked that it had a distinctively SF feeling, but wasn't overly technical. And the characters were interesting. It shows the events that lead up to the two of them meeting and how each side isn't all evil or all good. There are lots of shades of grey. It's not a deep book, but I'm glad I read it.

What I didn’t like about the book? Not much. It was a good read. Not something I will probably read again, but I enjoyed it.

Is this a new-to-me author and would I read something by this author again? new to me author and I do think I'll read more if something comes along that looks interesting.

Am I keeping it or passing it on? Passing it on. It was good, just not a keeper.

1 comment:

Angela James said...

I saw this in the bookstore this weekend but ended up passing on it. Hm. I'll need to give it a second look.