Don of the Dead by Casey Daniels

I picked this one up at work last week after staring at the pink cover (yes, pink) for what had to be at least a week and wondering why the title seemed so familiar.

Turns out it was an ARC (rather funny, considering the ARC thing in blogland, don't you think?), hence the lack of cover art. Still, it was a rather eye-catching pink. *g*

Here's the real cover:


And...I liked the book. It's kinda fluffy, but in a fun way.



She sees dead people

Beautiful, smart, and chic, Pepper Martin never had to work a day in her life -- until her surgeon daddy was convicted of fraud, her wealthy fiancé took a powder, and the family fortune ran bone dry.

Suddenly desperate, the inexperienced ex-rich girl was forced to take the only job she could get: as a tour guide in a cemetery. But a grave situation took a turn for the worse when a head-on collision with a headstone left her with an unwanted ability to communicate with the disgruntled deceased . . . and now Pepper has a whacked Mafia don demanding that she hunt down his killers -- and threatening to haunt her until she does.


One thing that I really liked about the story is that it dives right into the action. All the stuff about her fiance, father, and financial troubles are just mentioned, not really dwelled on.

Pepper's actually a bit of a flake at times, and can do some stupid stuff. But...I kinda liked her. I'm not sure she'd be for everyone, but if you like cozy mysteries of this type, I'd at least give her a try.

Plot-wise...Pepper hits her head in a cemetary where she gives tours and can now see Gus, dead mob boss. Gus wants to know who killed him so he can go on to the here-after. Gus is rather incorporeal, so he can't do any sleuthing himself. Pepper seems to be the only one who can see him, so he figures she's his best bet. And he does sweeten the deal.

There's also the doctor who isn't as he seems and a sexy cop and you get a fun, cute story. It's not deep and we don't get a whole lot of who Pepper is and what she wants out of life, but despite this, I still enjoyed the book. I'll definitely try to read the next in the series. Looks like Pepper is going to be getting into the ghost PI business whether she likes it or not.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

I have been waiting for this book, my local BAMM said they weren't going to get any in and that I'd have to order it. Still waiting to see if B&N will get it. Ghost Hunter by Jayne Castle was released a bit earlier that it's May 30th date. I picked it up yesterday, and finished it last night (this morning) :) . Your review has just made me want Don of the Dead more. I'l probably have to suck it up and order it. Thanks for putting out your review!

Amie Stuart said...

I'm gonna have to add this to my to-check-out list!