Wasted time and reviews

So here it is, after 1 p.m. and what do I have to show for my day? Nothing. Well, I finished up a review and, as I wasn't sure it would fly, sent it off to my review coordinator. I'm finding all this talk about the uselessness of online reviews rather disheartening, mostly because I completely understand their viewpoint. I like reviewing. I like reading a book and telling others what I think about it. Usually they're good books and I can just gush about them, but now that I've been reading SO much, my tastes have changed. I have a better grasp of what I like and what seems to work than I had before. And now that I've realized this, I don't think I can go back to the way I was before. Is this a good thing? I'm not sure yet. All I know is that I feel rather disillusioned by the whole review thing and at the moment, I just want to finish up my review books that I currently have and then go on to reading books I bought for myself. And if they're bad, I want to say so. I have many friends here online that are proponents of the "say nothing bad about the book, we don't want to hurt the author's feelings", yet is a review for the author in the first place? Yes, it's very nice to get back a letter from an author who just loved your review. Gives me warm fuzzies, but is that really why I'm doing this? I don't really think so.

You know, it feels good to write all this out. No wonder blogging is so popular. Now I really need to get something done. Guess it's on to running those errands I've been putting off all morning and part of the afternoon.

No comments: