Okay, I was bored last night in bed and just started writing these down. They're in no particular order.
1. a H/h who collects something wacky. Vintage Transformers, anyone? (am I dating myself?)
2. a heroine who proudly admits to reading romance. (even better if she admits it matter-of-factly and isn't defensive)
3. humor in bed. (even the kind where you're laughing so hard you have to stop "doing it".
4. a virgin who does NOT have a fabulous first time, but realizes that future times will be better.
5. more nerd/geeks. Engineers are sexy. Or even just careers that require a fair amount of intelligence.
6. H/h who plays video/computer games in their spare time. GTA and Final Fantasy games, anyone? Not everyone who plays is an anti-social, obsessive geek. (but those people ARE out there *g*)
7. no more super-angsty heroes who think they are incapable of loving anyone.
8. do NOT make a bad-ass character who has supposedly done some no-so-good things in his past not actually have done those things. (I liked SK's Zarek much better when I thought he'd been so ruthless. Would have made his relationship with Astrid all the better, I think.)
9. I want characters with "powers". Can I have someone who can fly? Comic book storyline in a romance novel would be fun.
10. I want action! Perhaps a swashbuckling pirate romance. I want a high seas adventure with fights! Must have an open sea battle!
11. If you make the heroine strong in the beginning, don't have her relinquish control to the hero once he's on the scene.
12. What's with "slacks" and "blouses" in these novels? Is there something wrong with saying pants and shirts? Is it some regional thing that I missing? Or is it what I think it is and the authors are jus dating themselves? Though my mother never said slacks. She used pants. Get with the times!!! Maybe this is a personal pet peeve and doesn't bother anyone else, but none of my friends have these words in their everyday vocabulary.
13. Why don't heroines every get their period? I mean, if nothing else, it's a great way to up the sexual tension. Or well, add a towel. But maybe the grossed-out readers would outnumber the ones who didn't care.
14. Pets. We need more pets. And not just a cat or a dog. Hermit crab, anyone? They can be cute. *g*
15. Westerns with bad boy heroes. I don't want any sheriffs, gamblers, or ranchers. I want my gunslingers and black hats.
16. Can I have a hero with white blond hair and ice blue eyes? That cold, haughty Nordic look can be pretty hot. I don't get the whole "blond heroes on covers don't sell".
Okay, this is where my list stopped last night and I can't think of anything to add right now.