The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

So I went to the gym yesterday afternoon in my pursuit of, well, getting in shape. But I needed a book. And I didn't feel like reading a romance. So, I kept remembering that BJ kept telling me to read Tess Gerritsen's books and I did have the first Rizzoli book on my tbr pile. So The Surgeon came with me. It was quite good and made the half-hour on the treadmill go by pretty quickly.

Blurb from Gerritsen's site:
He slips into their homes at night and walks silently into bedrooms where women lie sleeping, unaware of the horrors they soon will endure. The precision of the killer's methods suggests he is a deranged man of medicine, propelling the Boston newspapers and the frightened public to name him "The Surgeon."

The cops' only clue rests with another surgeon, the victim of a nearly identical crime. Two years ago, Dr. Catherine Cordell fought back and killed her attacker before he could complete his assault. Now she hides her fears of intimacy behind a cool and elegant exterior and well-earned reputation as a top trauma surgeon.

Cordell's careful façade is about to crack as this new killer re-creates, with chilling accuracy, the details of Cordell's own ordeal. With every new murder he seems to be taunting her, cutting ever closer, from her hospital to her home. Her only comfort comes from Thomas Moore, the detective assigned to the case. But even Moore cannot protect Cordell from a brilliant hunter who somehow understands-and savors-the secret fears of every woman he kills.


I enjoyed the book. It's fast-paced and intense. I did figure out where they'd find the killer in the beginning and wondered why they didn't check out that earlier since it seemed obvious that that was what tied them all together, but I still enjoyed the story. I wouldn't say it's the best I've ever read, it's a fairly average medical/police thriller, but I will definitely read more in the series.

No comments: