So....25 or so book things about me. Hmmm..
1. I'm not entirely sure how I choose books. Sometimes cover, sometimes author, title....I mean, I grabbed The Greek's Christmas Baby from SuperTarget on Monday! So I'm far from consistent. Well...I suppose Lucy Monroe's books are just a guilty pleasure. And I bought Leslie Kelly's newest Blaze even though I found her last book kinda meh.
2. I tend to shelve my books aesthetically. They sorta go by genre, but really, it's by what I think looks pretty. Authors are usually together, but not always. And there's a shelf in the living room with fantasy/science fiction that seems to be going by publisher. And it drove me nuts that some of the pubs had changed book height over the years, so things were a bit uneven. Book height....very important. There seems to really be no standard.
3. I read in the bathroom. And for some reason find it embarrassing. (hi, Nick. yes, I read in the bathroom, though you probably already know.)
4. I have bought books purely because the author had a contest where the answer was only found in the book. And usually they're ones I wouldn't have ordinarily picked up, but they're usually quite good. Like Kay Stockham's Montana Secrets. I liked that book.
5. I used to be one of those awful, gushing, five-star-giving reviewers and now find it rather embarrassing. Okay, really embarrassing.
6. Yes, I have been known to skim the sex scenes in even erotic romances.
7. I hate Christine Feehan's books. Okay, strongly dislike. And I've tried more than a few.
8. Just a year or so ago I wouldn't be caught dead reading a contemporary.
9. I reread books. Not as much as I used to, but I still sometimes will pick up a favorite. This isn't so bad with romances, but I've reread a ton of my fantasy books. Cuz when a new book in a series came out, i'd read all the previous ones. Any idea how many times I've read Eye of the World by Robert Jordan? *g* Also reread Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth quite a few times. And early Cussler. And many of my Anne McCaffrey books (I really want to pick up The Rowan to read again). And my David Eddings ones.
10. I have a thing for cat books. I have a fair number of cat mysteries and I've been known to buy a book purely because it has a cat on the cover.
11. J.D. Robb books are the only romances I will contemplate buying in hardcover, yet I've never read any actual Nora Roberts. I do have a few now, so I should rectify that.
12. I buy purses based on being able to fit a paperback in them. Usually don't fit a trade size, though. I'm too short to go too big with my purses.
13. I love to buy humor books for my husband, yet I hardly ever read them myself. Instead, I love to listen to him laugh and then have him either read me the passage or show me. I love it when he reads parts of Dave Barry to me.
14. I can read books without cracking the spine 99% of the time. Even my Robert Jordan books don't have cracks in the spine! You can tell which books I've gotten used or lent out by seeing spine cracks.
15. I mostly read in bed before going to sleep and on weekends in the afternoon in the living room. Hardly ever during the day on weekdays (er...unless it's in the bathroom *g*).
16. I used to dog-ear my corners. I think it started when I was young and a friend's mother got mad at me for putting a book open upside down when I couldn't find a piece of paper for a bookmark. No clue why dog-earing a book was better than what I'd done. But now I have about a million author bookmarks so when I pick out a book to use, I grab a bookmark right away to put in it.
17. I bring way too many books on vacations because I'm always afraid of running out of things to read or not be in the mood for something.
18. I often decide what to read based on mood. Early Julia Quinns are great when feeling depressed.
19. I usually have multiple books started at once. Right now there are seven books on my nightstand with bookmarks in them that I haven't quite given up on finishing sometime soon.
20. I don't really like reading hardbacks. I think it's because I read in bed curled on my side holding the book with one hand. Gets tiring when it's large.
21. I dislike books with children in them. Though for some reason I seem to have picked up several that have children in them and I didn't mind them. But usually if there's a child on the cover, I'll immediately pass it by.
22. I'm a cover snob. I don't care about the adage "Don't judge a book by its cover". With hundreds of potential books to read each month, how am I supposed to at least start on figuring out what to read?
23. I love cartoon covers.
24. My reading tastes seem to be constantly evolving. I was going through a all-romance phase for awhile, but now other genres are creeping in again.
25. I'm awful about remembering H/h names even in books I really loved.
Okay, that's 25 and I'm not going to wrack my brain for more.