The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

Last weekend I was feeling kinda blah, so I grabbed this one off the shelf. I've read it before when I was a teen, but hadn't since. I consider it a classic, though, and am glad I grabbed it again to add to my library. It's still just as fun to read as it was the first time. It's the first in McCaffrey's Brain and Brawn series.

HELVA HAD BEEN BORN HUMAN

...but only her brain had been saved--saved to be schooled, programmed and implanted in the sleek, titanium body og an intergalactic scout ship. But first she had to choose a human partner--male or female--to share her exhilarating escapades in space!

Her life was to be rich and rewarding...resplendent with daring adventures and endless excitement, beyond the wildest dreams of mere mortals.

Gifted with the voice of an angel and being virtually indestructible, Helva XH-834 anticipated a sublime immortality.

Then one day she fell in love!


Ah...this is such a sweet book. The first few chapters read like the short stories that they originally were, but that doesn't take away from the story as a whole. I'd say this is one of my favorite SF stories and would probably recommend it to any romance reader who's interested in trying out some SF. For a story written in the 1960s, this is still a great one and one I'll continue to enjoy.

1 comment:

M. C. Pearson said...

Hey there...just blog hopping. I love Anne McCaffery but have never seen this one. I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

Merry Christmas.