Started Midnight Work by Kassandra Sims

And I think this is the worst edited book ever. First page starts out talking about "plane trees". yeah, they're "plain trees". The FIRST line of the book has an error! *ahem* I feel stupid here. Plane trees are an Old World name for sycamores. Just so you know. ;-) Hell, what was I supposed to think when the next line talks about the plain? Still doesnt explain the misspelling of Outremer.

And then there's a history lesson of sorts, but it keeps spelling Outremer as Outermer and it's driving me absolutely up the wall. How on earth did something like this get past editing and what was the author thinking??? I could forgive it once, not at least twice! That leads me to believe it was the author who screwed up and not some editor who'd never heard of it (though I find it hard to believe they'd never come across the word before). And honestly, if she gets Outremer screwed up, what else is screwed up?

And then there are some blog postings in it with grammatical errors, though I haven't decided if they're accidental or not. This is all in the first 17 pages, which is all I got to last night.

I mean, Midnight Work is interesting, but I see less errors in most ebooks! Honestly I spent quite a few minutes trying to figure out what the hell plane trees were.

2 comments:

Angela James said...

Well, I'm glad you posted this because I had poorly edited books (thus my many rants about MJD books on my blog) and I had considered buying this one. Yikes! I'll save my money and get it from PBS if the story turns out well.

Tara Marie said...

I have an ARC of this book, started it 3 times and have absolutely no interest in it. But it may just be me, I can be real picky at times.