Passport Diaries by Tamara Gregory

I got this book last month for a reader-review for First Look. I started it last week and finished it on the plane to Washington. It's got some elements one might associate with chick lit, but it falls more under women's fiction, I think. Humorous in parts, but that's not the entire tone.

Book blurb taken from Amazon:

Kia Carson thinks she knows exactly what she wants in a relationship. As a child, she saw it every time she watched her father smell her mother's hair as her mother tenderly affixed his cuff links in the mornings before work, or when her father in loving return lightly tapped her mother's bottom as she walked away. But, despite her old-fashioned romantic notions, the best Kia can manage these days are booty calls with delectable but vacuous L.A. men.

At least she has her career. Her energy and idealism as an assistant D.A. have won her respect and admiration -- and, in the case of Drew, a handsome, funny, and considerate white coworker, something much more. But before Drew can express his true feelings, a run-in with her boss gets Kia suspended from her job. Her best friend, Maya, suggests a European vacation to help get her head and heart together. Hesitant at first, Kia soon sees that nothing -- or, more to the point, no one -- is really keeping her in L.A., so she opts for the adventure of a lifetime. Kia packs up her things, inhales, then exhales, and finally takes flight -- alone.


I enjoyed pretty much the entire book, and really couldn't tell you any part that I didn't like. It's light reading, but not fluffy. I suppose in the end it's Kia finding out what means the most to her in life and that love is found in unexpected places. I wasn't quite sure if I'd call this women's fiction or a contemporary romance, but as it does have a happy ending, I'll give ya a hint and call it a romance. Or perhaps I'll call the first half women's fiction as it focuses on Kia, and the other part romance since it focuses more on Kia and Drew. And Drew is mighty fine. Greek god gorgeous. Kia, you are lucky the man is persistent. Persistent, sweet, gorgeous men are hard to find. Persistent and gorgeous is one thing, but add in the sweet and you have a winner. And smart, since they are both lawyers. Ah, it was nice to see Kia finally realize that she and Drew were meant to be together.

Ah...I love a good book and this is a great summer read. It's in hardback right now, but I think you can get it for trade prices at Amazon. Or wait til paperback. But anyways, it's a good book.

1 comment:

ReneeW said...

I found you from your post on my blog and thought I'd say hi. This sounds like a great summer book and my library has it on order. I've never heard of this author before but I think I'll try it. Thanks.