What happened to my historicals?

Looking at August releases just now, I realized that although the historical romances sound interesting, I have no desire to put them on my wishlist at the moment. It used to be that all I ever read for romances were historicals and now they seem to be the ones I want to read the least. Looking back in my Excel file of books read, the last historical was It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn and only a dozen out of 169 for the whole year. Much of my tbr pile is historicals, but lately I just haven't been able to bring myself to read them. I have Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale sitting partly read on my nightstand and even though the story is intriguing, it doesn't hold my interest. I know it's going to be good, but I just don't seem to be in the mood. But when will I be in the mood for them again? I wish I knew. I have many in my pile that I'd love to read. There are the Pleasure trilogy by Eloisa James, Karen Ranney's Highland Lords, some Margaret Moores, Jennifer Ashley, Lisa Kleypas, Kinley MacGregor...and the list goes on.

I've read some good romantic suspense lately, as well as some SF romance, and started some new mystery series. Now why can't I get back to the historicals I once loved? Is this a phase I'll grow out of, or something that may be here to stay?

Anyone else go through this? It's certainly not a lack of variety, at least I don't think so.

And I really don't feel like putting in links right now. I need to go do housework. Looking for jobs earlier was depressing, too.

1 comment:

Angela James said...

I always go through periods where I glom certain genres and want to read very few books that don't fall into it at least marginally.

But historicals are odd for me. I have a ton of them on my keeper shelf. It was the one genre I read extensively throughout the years (although my theory is that's because it was one of the most prolific genre's) but now, even though I pick up a few of them, I have to force myself to read them from my TBR pile. There are very few on my wish list. And when I pick up a book that looks intriguing in the bookstore and see it's a historical, I rarely buy it. So I can empathize with you Nicole.